some problems

luigi.raimondi
Dear all,

I am probably a very trained developer and in my life I have used many
fortran compilers for my core applications.

I am currently using Intel fortran (on Windows 10) but I want to make some
tests on the gnu compiler.

After installing the compiler I have tried to compile a quite simple fortran
file obtaining the following result.

====================

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>XGFOR V1bvle

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>ECHO ON

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>ECHO RUNNING gnu fortran compiler ...

RUNNING gnu fortran compiler ...

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>REM

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>if not exist V1bvle.FOR goto abexit

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>set path=c:\mingw\bin

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>rem -----

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>rem lf95 V1bvle.FOR -c -lst (f=fortout.lst) -o0 -xref
-wo -fix -ndal -sav -trap dio -trace -swm 3909,3910 -info

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>gfortran V1bvle.FOR -c -fdump-parse-tree

(null):0: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>rem -----

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>rem

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>goto exit

C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>

I am at a loss to find out how to get the listing of the source file with
compiler diagnostics.

Best regards

Dr. Luigi Raimondi

Process Simulation Services srl

 <http://www.xpsimworld.com> www.xpsimworld.com

Re: some problems

Thomas Koenig-6

Hi Luigi,

> I am probably a very trained developer and in my life I have used many
> fortran compilers for my core applications.
>
> I am currently using Intel fortran (on Windows 10) but I want to make some
> tests on the gnu compiler.
>
> After installing the compiler I have tried to compile a quite simple fortran
> file obtaining the following result.

I don't use mingw myself much. I think you probably want the msys
utilities to go with mingw.

Myself, I use Cygwin on Windows, which has much more of a native
UNIX look and feel and comes with a cross-compiler for native Windows
applications using mingw.

Regards

        Thomas

Re: some problems

Steve Kargl
On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:40:07PM +0200, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> > I am probably a very trained developer and in my life I have used many
> > fortran compilers for my core applications.
> >
> > I am currently using Intel fortran (on Windows 10) but I want to make some
> > tests on the gnu compiler.
> >
> > After installing the compiler I have tried to compile a quite simple fortran
> > file obtaining the following result.
>
> I don't use mingw myself much. I think you probably want the msys
> utilities to go with mingw.
>
> Myself, I use Cygwin on Windows, which has much more of a native
> UNIX look and feel and comes with a cross-compiler for native Windows
> applications using mingw.

Another option is to use Window 10's 'Windows subsystem for linux'.
I installed I Ubuntu under WSL and then used apt-get to install
gfortran 7 or 8.  It's been awhile since I tested it.

Steve

RE: some problems

luigi.raimondi
Dear all,
By trying to compile a fortran source file I obtain only the following
message:

(null):0: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

I am not able to find compilation options for obtaining an output file
listing what the compiler reads and the error/warning messages issued.
I have always found this feature in all the compilers I have previously
used.
Best regards
Luigi Raimondi

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:40:07PM +0200, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> > I am probably a very trained developer and in my life I have used
> > many fortran compilers for my core applications.
> >
> > I am currently using Intel fortran (on Windows 10) but I want to
> > make some tests on the gnu compiler.
> >
> > After installing the compiler I have tried to compile a quite simple
> > fortran file obtaining the following result.
>
> I don't use mingw myself much. I think you probably want the msys
> utilities to go with mingw.
>
> Myself, I use Cygwin on Windows, which has much more of a native UNIX
> look and feel and comes with a cross-compiler for native Windows
> applications using mingw.

Another option is to use Window 10's 'Windows subsystem for linux'.
I installed I Ubuntu under WSL and then used apt-get to install gfortran 7
or 8.  It's been awhile since I tested it.

Steve

Re: some problems

Steve Kargl
On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:24:12AM +0200, luigi.raimondi wrote:
> I am not able to find compilation options for obtaining an output file
> listing what the compiler reads and the error/warning messages issued.
> I have always found this feature in all the compilers I have previously
> used.

gfortran does not have his feature.

To make life simple, don't use MingW.  Google Simply Fortran.

Steve

RE: some problems

luigi.raimondi
Really absurd from my point of view.
Can I get in touch with somebody in charge of the compiler development ?
Regards
Luigi Raimondi

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:24:12AM +0200, luigi.raimondi wrote:
> I am not able to find compilation options for obtaining an output file
> listing what the compiler reads and the error/warning messages issued.
> I have always found this feature in all the compilers I have
> previously used.

gfortran does not have his feature.

To make life simple, don't use MingW.  Google Simply Fortran.

Steve

Re: some problems

Steve Kargl
What is absurd? That gfortran does not support some random
feature not required by the Fortran standard.  Or, that I
recommend that you try Simply Fortran (a gfortran-based
distribution that works on Windows out-of-the-box).

There isn't someone in charge of (Fortran) compiler development.
There is a small group of volunteer developers who donate their
time to fix bugs and implement features from the newer Fortran
standards.  The closest you can get to getting in contact with
"who is in charge" is to send email to [hidden email].
This email list is intended for discussion concerned with
development of gfortran.  It is not intended for general user
support on installing and using the compiler on any given
operating system.

--
steve

--
Steve
20170425 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUpyCsUKR4
20161221 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbCHE-hONow

RE: some problems

luigi.raimondi
Thanks for your kind information.
I understand that the Fortran standard does not define the format of the
outputs but this is the first time I meet a compiler (Fortran, C, C++,
Assembler)  which does not provide a listing of the input source file.
I had no problems in installing and launch the compiler. I was updating a
medium size fortran source file V1BVLE.FOR of about 2000 lines.
This module is one of the about 800 source files building a chemical plant
simulator.
The compiler has been launched from a DOS command window as:
C:\YF\XPSIM-30\srclib>gfortran V1bvle.FOR -c -fdump-parse-tree
The only answer from the compiler is:
" (null):0: confused by earlier errors, bailing out".
Besides the Intel compiler I am currently using, the same file compiles
nicely with the Lahey 97 ( 22 y old) compiler.
So how can I find out what is wrong for the GNU Fortran compiler ?
Regards
Luigi

--
Steve
20170425 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUpyCsUKR4
20161221 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbCHE-hONow

RE: some problems

Dominique d'Humières-2
Hi Luigi,

>  " (null):0: confused by earlier errors, bailing out ".

is an internal compiler error generated by compilers configured with
--enable-checking=release (the default for release versions).

Could you try to compile your code with -fmax-errors=1?

Cheers,

Dominique