Installation instructions

gcc - fortran mailing list
Hi,

I'm trying to install gfortran and I have no idea what to do. My IT support team also doesn't know how to install it, so they asked me to email this address. (I found the "Guide to Building gcc/gfortran" but it wasn't complete.) We downloaded "mingw-w64-v7.0.0.tar.bz2" and unzipped it. Do you have instructions on how to go from here? I have a Windows 10 64-bit laptop.

I also saw these instructions under how to install, but I don't know how to do this: Extract the toolchain tarball within a folder of your choice, e.g. ~mingw_w64. Add to your PATH environment variable the path to the bin directory in the toolchain package, e.g. ~mingw_w64/bin.

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Dianna

Dianna Francisco
ORISE Postdoctoral Fellow participating at the U.S. EPA
EPA/ORD/CEMM/AESMD/ESAB
109 T.W. Alexander Drive, Mail Drop: MD-81
Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA

Re: Installation instructions

Damian Rouson-4
On Windows 10, if you're able to install the free Windows Subsystem for
Linux (WSL), you can an Ubuntu window and then install gfortran by typing
the following at the command line:

sudo apt install gfortran

If the Ubuntu is version 18, then I think the above command will put
gfortran 7.5 in your path, but I've heard that Ubuntu 20.04 is available
via WSL.  If so, that will install a newer version --  hopefully at least
gfortran 9.x.

Damian