Help Out with Gcc

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help Out with Gcc

nick-2
Greetings All,

I assume you get lots of these but I was wondering what's the
areas where gcc needs help the most these days that are good
for a new developer to gcc. The only other question I have
is the gcc internal manual here up to date for gcc 8 or
not?
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/index.html#SEC_Contents

Thanks,

Nick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help Out with Gcc

Jonathan Wakely-4
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 at 05:59, nick wrote:
>
> Greetings All,
>
> I assume you get lots of these but I was wondering what's the
> areas where gcc needs help the most these days that are good
> for a new developer to gcc.

There's a relevant section on the wiki, see
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/#Getting_Started_with_GCC_Development

The https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibstdcxxTodo page also includes some
easy hacks suitable for new contributors.

> The only other question I have
> is the gcc internal manual here up to date for gcc 8 or
> not?
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/index.html#SEC_Contents

Those docs cover the development trunk, and were last updated *after*
gcc-8 branched, but are still relevant for gcc-8.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help Out with Gcc

David Malcolm
On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 10:04 +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 at 05:59, nick wrote:
> >
> > Greetings All,
> >
> > I assume you get lots of these but I was wondering what's the
> > areas where gcc needs help the most these days that are good
> > for a new developer to gcc.
>
> There's a relevant section on the wiki, see
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/#Getting_Started_with_GCC_Development
>
> The https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibstdcxxTodo page also includes some
> easy hacks suitable for new contributors.
>
> > The only other question I have
> > is the gcc internal manual here up to date for gcc 8 or
> > not?
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/index.html#SEC_Contents
>
> Those docs cover the development trunk, and were last updated *after*
> gcc-8 branched, but are still relevant for gcc-8.

FWIW I've put together my own guide for new GCC developers, based on my
experiences:
  https://dmalcolm.fedorapeople.org/gcc/newbies-guide/index.html

I hope to merge this into the website somehow in the next few months.

Hope this is helpful
Dave