Difficulties compliling...

Philippe Schaffnit

Hi!

Erm... this is clearly the wrong place to ask for that, as this is not
really related to fortran itself, but maybe someone can answer fast,
so...

I'm trying to compile gfortran under Linux (I'd rather compile it myself
than use pre-compiled binaries, if possible...): I could before compile
the whole gcc (without ADA, though...) without any difficulty, but
lately it dies when trying to compile some things related to java (I
know, I definitly have to report that to the java people): that's quite
all right as I don't really need it, but I nevertheless would like to
avoid to build only the fortran stuff (I would also like the C compiler
and the C-pre-processor): if I remember right someone mentioned a
"--language=f95" switch for configure, I would rather be interested in
an "opposite" switch: something like "--no-language=java: can someone
give me some hints there?

BTW, I'm a bit used to compiling things myself, so I'm not afraid of
looking up documentation, but I have to admit that I'm quite confused
with "FEATURE"s, "PACKAGE"s and "LANGUAGE"s and what they mean: which
one need a "lib", and so on, if someone could put some more information
about that, I think it could be useful (sorry if I've missed it...).

Thanks!

Philippe

Re: Difficulties compliling...

FX Coudert
> I would rather be interested in
> an "opposite" switch: something like "--no-language=java: can someone
> give me some hints there?

If you specify a list of languages with the --enable-languages option,
no other front-end will be built. If you only want C (you can't do
without it) and Fortran, you just use

./configure --enable-languages=c,fortran

(or --enable-languages=c,f95 on the 4.0 branch; the name changed
recently on mainline).

FX